Harvard-Radcliffe Club of Rochester
2018 Essay Contest
First prize: $250 Second Prize: $100 Third Prize: $50
Topic: “Who Bears the Responsibility for a Student’s Education?”
Deadline for entries: March 31, 2018
Teachers, parents, and students influence the education of any student. In your opinion, which of those persons bear the greatest responsibility for an individual’s education? Do other agents such as the state or the national government share the responsibility? You may argue for any one of those or name another agent. You may argue that the responsibility is shared among two or more as you discuss the role that teachers, parents, and students play in a person’s education. You must use only your own words and your essay is limited to 1,000 words. We discourage entries in the form of poetry. Electronic submissions are strongly recommended. Exceptions should be confirmed with the contest administrator. Do not write your name anywhere on your essay, only on the entry registration form. Essays will be coded for judging. Please note the other official contest rules that follow. This information is also available at the website of the Harvard-Radcliffe Club of Rochester: http://hrcrochester.clubs.harvard.edu
Submit your electronic essay submission and official entry form to HRCREssayContest@gmail.com Any questions may also be addressed to the same gmail address.
The Harvard-Radcliffe Club of Rochester invites all area students in grades 10-12 to demonstrate their writing skill and creative ideas in this Essay Contest. You can take any position, argue any point, and espouse any cause in relation to this theme…so long as the work is your own and no one else’s. We are looking for students with fresh perspectives, well-reasoned arguments, and excellent verbal skills. If you have a passion for ideas and a knack for writing, this is your chance to shine.
1. Any student currently attending school in the Greater Rochester Area in Grades 10, 11 or 12 may enter by completing the entry form and submitting a qualifying essay. Children of members of the Harvard-Radcliffe Club of Rochester (“HRCR”) are not eligible to enter. No purchase, entry fee or other payment is required. Information provided on the entry form will be used solely for purposes of this Contest.
2. Entries must be sent by electronic mail unless permission is given to submit paper entries. Submit electronic essays to HRCREssayContest@gmail.com An entry form is also required and is available from the Harvard-Radcliffe Club of Rochester website: http://hrcrochester.clubs.harvard.edu
You should keep a copy of your essay for reference. We cannot assume responsibility for delayed, misdirected or lost email.
3. Entries shall be no more than 1,000 words long. ESSAY MUST CONSIST SOLELY OF THE ENTRANT’S ORIGINAL WORK AND MUST NOT BE ENTERED IN ANY OTHER CONTEST. Though an essay may contain ideas or facts derived from research, the expression of these must be exclusively in the entrant’s own words. No editing, correction or other assistance by anyone else, nor borrowing of another’s language without attribution, is permitted. Any entrant who is discovered to have received such assistance in preparing an entry will be disqualified. (If discovery occurs after a prize has been awarded, the prize will be forfeited and repaid to HRCR.)
4. The theme of the essay shall be: “Who Bears the Responsibility for a Student’s Education?” Potential winners shall be selected according to the following criteria: (a) originality of ideas, (b) persuasiveness of arguments, (c) relevance to the theme, (d) effectiveness of expression, (e) and appropriate length. The panel of judges shall consist of members of HRCR and other qualified persons selected by HRCR, whose decisions in all matters shall be final and binding on all parties.
5 .The Prizes are: one First Prize of $250
one Second Prize of $100
one Third Prize of $50
HRCR reserves the right to withhold awarding any or all of the prizes if the judges decide the entries are of insufficient merit.
6. All entries become the property of HRCR and may be retained or disposed of in its sole discretion, but copyright in each entry will remain with the entrant. Any taxes on prizes are the sole responsibility of the winners or their guardians.
7. Sponsor: Harvard-Radcliffe Club of Rochester, Inc.
Jane Shuffelton, Contest Administrator
Below find copies of this announcement, and the necessary entry form: